Saturday, November 28, 2020

30 Days of Thanks: November 27, 2020

Today I'm thankful for a slow pace. I often rush and jam pack my days, but today I opted to take it slow. It was a sleeping in morning, reading in bed, lazy breakfast morning. I took my time, in no hurry, and made it out and about for my 2 errands easily and with no stress. It made running errands much less stressful since I had no time agenda. I arrived home and opted to rest a bit more, eat a lazy lunch and then hit the trails.

I packed a book, drove to my state park and hit the easy trail. There I leisurely walked along the river until I found my favorite little corner where the river crashes noisily and the rocks are positioned just so. Out came my little pad and up went my feet. I dazed at the water, content to listen and fall away from myself, a meditation of sorts. After some time I opted to pull out my book and read, my back on the tree and my feet on the rocks, the water sounds my only accompaniment. There I found myself swept up in the story, it may have been minutes, it may have been an hour, I honestly do not know how much time passed. I do know all of a sudden there were people and a golden retriever across the river from me and I was startled out of my trance. That was my cue to get up and move. I hiked on, following the river as much as possible before being forced back to the paved trail.

I watched the others around me hustle and run, as I leisurely walked, no concern for the slowly setting sun and the rising moon. When I reached my car the moon had risen and the sun was mostly set, yet it was only 5pm. I was not afraid as there was plenty of light and I have certainly hiked in darkness before. It was an easy drive home and a simple dinner of leftovers.

Today was a day I needed. Simple, slow, easy. It was peaceful and full of connections as well. For all of these I give thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment