Sunday, November 22, 2020

30 Days of Thanks: November 22, 2020

Today I am thankful for time. I have had time to spend this weekend with my children without the chaos and hustle of prepping Thanksgiving. With the rising covid numbers and new state restrictions I made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Friendsgiving dinner. It was just not going to feasible or what we would all enjoy with the current state of affairs, so this weekend we had time. We raked leaves, had a mini-Friends marathon, watched some movies, made popcorn and just had time. 

The enjoyable part of this entire covid experience is time. Without the hustle we have time, time to bond (and yes to fight), time to teach (and argue), time to connect and disconnect. This weekend I taught one child to make a pecan pie, and another how to use the meat grinder. I taught two of them that cooking is a following a recipe, but also reading and understanding the recipe and moving beyond it. We had some fun opportunities because of the gift of time.

It's not all rose colored glasses, as we did have moments of screaming and yelling, and poor attitudes for everyone, myself included, but we are learning to be more harmonious. S is willing to use the table saw to cut the bamboo that everyone else has gathered so they can make some fighting sticks, or try to build a teepee. G is outside playing more, while D is off gathering a friend to come over. My swingset is covered in branches and bamboo from the collections of B, all of which is happening because of this gift of time. Yes we fight and struggle, but there is much love coming from our gift of time. 

When we no longer have limits on gatherings and life has returned to something more traditional I hope that my children, and myself, can reflect on this period not with bitterness, but with love. We have grown in our love because of the gift of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment