Monday, November 23, 2020

30 Days of Thanks: November 23, 2020

Today I am thankful for the journey. I never could have imagined the journey that I have been on these past 40 years. I never would have thought that I would have gotten married, moved to Kentucky, and then had 4 kids in 4 years and 6 days all while pursuing my PhD. I couldn't have dreamed that we would pack up our family and move away to the east coast, only to divorce a few short years later.

How could I have dreamed that I would have been introduced to backpacking and from that one single trip found a passion that would lead me into a project such as the American Perimeter Trail? Life is a journey. I know it's cliché, but for me it is true. Each decade has provided new growth, and while in my 20s I thought I knew who I was becoming, this woman before you never existed in her mind. My 30s taught me more about myself and was such a period of personal growth I reflect on that with both fondness and fatigue. I can hope that the growth continues into this decade, but overall I am thankful for the journey.

As I reflect on the convoluted ways I found myself here tonight I am grateful. Was it where I thought I would be? No. Is it where I want to be? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have destinations in mind, but I am learning to make peace with the consistent change of destination. I am learning to focus on the moment, and the current path, while not keeping my eyes always ahead on the horizon. I reflect on the steps that lead me here, the strength, courage, determination, grace, pain, and love that fueled it, and use those to guide me forward. I will continue to pursue my life less ordinary and walk the path under my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment