Wednesday, November 25, 2020

30 Days of Thanks: November 25, 2020

I sit here tonight in a strange place. I have not been home on Thanksgiving Eve in at least 4 years. For the past 4 years I have driven to my cousin's home, spent the night, awoken very early on Thanksgiving and assisted her at her business. When the even was over we would pack up, return to her home and enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner. This year there are no events, no need for me to assist her, and no fun family Thanksgiving. While I am sad about it, I cannot help but reflect and be grateful for the times that we did have.

My cousin and her husband always had a place for me in their home, and at their table. They welcomed my lonely self, who was often not the best company as I worked through my divorce, being apart from my children at a holiday, and all of layers of each. There was always love and laughter and community. This year will be celebrated differently by many, yet I am still thankful to have this time and this space. I am thankful for the memories I have of the past 4 years. I am thankful for the comfort and care that was provided for me. 

Even in the change that this holiday season presents there is gratitude if you choose to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment