Monday, November 2, 2020

30 Days of Thanks: November 2, 2020

 Friendship.

It's such a simple thing, but today a true friendship is what I am most thankful for. I have made many friends in this lifetime, some are seasonal friends, some are location friends, and a very select few are lifelong friends. There have been many season friends whom I thought would be lifelong, only to have them drift away. I will try and try to maintain the connection, but a friendship must be maintained on both ends for it to thrive.

Today, there was a simple phone call in which specific topics were meant to be covered, and while those were touched upon the call quickly became one in which this friend reminded me (again) that this is a lifelong friendship. During the conversation it was apparent I was having a rough morning and this friend took the time to remind me and guide me through some truths. Was it easy? No. Was it comfortable? No. Did I sit there in near silence, blinking tears out of my eyes while I was spoken to? Yes. Did I want to hear all of that? Honestly, no, but it was things I needed to hear, things that I need and want to address in my life. Truths were spoken from a place of love and kindness and even if I wasn't in a place at that moment to receive all of it, they were heard.

Friends like the one above are rare. Friends that are willing to walk with you through the jungle that is anxiety and trauma response are unique individuals. These friends are willing to hold your pain briefly so you can breathe and then release it back to you. They can be problem solvers if necessary, but they understand, often from their own experience, that you can solve the issue within yourself, you just want someone to walk with you and validate your experience. On this day in November, I am thankful for the gift of true lifelong friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment