Sunday, November 21, 2021

30 Days of Thanks: November 21

Family

Family is my core, be that biological family or my custom created family, family is at the heart of who I am. This past weekend was spent in the heart of the family, home where my parents where born and raised and the roots of my family. Growing up moving every few years often left me a little lost, but I always knew that my parent's hometown in upstate New York would be there for me, for us. No matter where we moved we could always come back and be welcomed and loved. We returned this weekend to celebrate our matriarch, my mother. 

We hiked on a trail none of us had visited in the decades we had been visiting, we had our favorite foods from our favorite places, and laughed over wine and whiskey. Family bonding, and all that was missing was a game of Rummikub. A simple return to our roots, a grounding and strengthening of our family tree. A chance to introduce my children to some of their roots in a different fashion than usual. As we drove I pointed out exits and where they lead, told stories of visiting from when I was their ages, and we bonded over my own memories. The weekend a chance to ground their roots in my memories, my history, not simply their grandparent's history. While I have never lived in my parent's hometown for more than a scant 3 months it is also my hometown. It is my roots in ways that none of the other places I have lived have ever been. The stable place that I could reference as home, and one that I share with my family community.

Celebrating my mother this weekend with family was a gift. One that we all needed, all appreciated, and one that I am thankful for. I am thankful for the family that made this possible, and thankful for the family to which I belong. The love shown this weekend was much needed for me, and to this I am also thankful.

My mother (middle) and her siblings


My aunt (left) and her partner

My parents


No comments:

Post a Comment