Sunday, November 14, 2021

30 Days of Thanks: November 14

 I was lucky enough to spend this weekend backpacking for the American Perimeter Trail on the Appalachian Trail in New Jersey and New York, but that's not what I'm thankful for this evening. I am thankful for the company I had this weekend, an otherwise stranger from Instagram who decided to come along on this crazy adventure. We had nearly 25 miles of ups, downs, insane weather, and some normal moments in there too.

Miniature is nothing more than a special individual. He demonstrated such patience with me as we navigated ascending vertical rock scrambles and some bouldering and my anxiety threatened to take over and send me into a panic. A hand, a pole, and encouragement were all offered, and grace was extended when I refused the assistance, acknowledging my need to complete the task independently. He pulled me to my feet after my countless slides and falls onto my rear, and mostly had the courtesy not to laugh until i was already laughing at myself. I've never fallen on a hike as much as I did on Saturday and his attitude and demeanor made it that much easier for me to fall and not be upset with myself. 

He braved some insane weather with me; we navigated countless summits and ridges while being pelted with hail and rain and rising winds as the thunder crashed and the lightening flashed. There was no where to go but forward, as the trail was above the treeline and no way to descend. As the hail receded and the rain continued he could have complained, could have blamed me, could have done countless things, but he hiked forward. When the rain lifted we enjoyed moments marveling at the views and how wet we were. Little did we know that the rain and wind would return, pushing us to move faster as we tried to stave off hypothermia. We laughed, teased, and in these moments propelled ourselves forward with joy rather than drudgery. Choosing to find the happiness and acceptance in the moment, knowing that we could be other places warm and dry, and instead we were navigating flooded trails and becoming increasingly wetter as the rain continued.

I am incredibly grateful for the man that showed up and kept showing up during our adventure this weekend. It was a challenge for both of us, and his attitude and support were what I needed in some personally challenging moments. We all should be so lucky to stumble upon an individual who's so gracious during some extremely challenging and dangerous circumstances. Of this I am certain I have a new friend in Miniature. I am thankful for the time and the man that is Miniature. While I'm not sure he'll let me plan another adventure without double/triple checking the maps and the weather, I'm hopeful he'll still make good on that salsa lesson. May you all find an adventure with a new friend that leaves you breathless, joyful, and thankful.



No comments:

Post a Comment