Tuesday, November 2, 2021

30 Days of Thanks: November 2

Yesterday I wrote of friendship, the gift it is, the changes it brings, and how it weaves into our lives. Today, I am still thankful for friendship, but especially for the deep, intimate friendships, for the friends that trust you and love enough to let you walk with them during those painful times. I'm thankful for these relationships where someone loves me and trusts me enough to share these moments with me. It's often not about having the right answer, or answer for them, but holding space and time for them; carrying their burden for a moment to allow them to breathe. When you can offload your burden for a moment, catch your breath and reset, that burden is suddenly lighter, maybe more manageable. 

It is a gift and a blessing to have forged these relationships and I am thankful for them. Thankful the friend who called tonight in need and allowed me to be there with them, to walk with them through fear and remind them that all is not as it seems. It's not dismissing their pain, their experiences, but offering perspective- when needed or wanted. Often it's as simple as saying "yeah it does suck" because there are many times when we need to hear that it's ok to not be ok. We live in a world that values perfection and happiness, without recognizing that messiness and sadness are parts of life, part of the human experience, and require just as much recognition. I am honored that I was chosen to walk with them, and I pray that our call helped facilitate some healing, or at least a brief moment of peace.

I'm thankful for the depth of our friendship and the moments we shared today, for despite this friend needing support they were able to offer me some healing and love. Tonight the words and support were kind reciprocally and we have both worked at this to have moments like this without anger or jealousy or fear reigning. Each of these emotions may have appeared tonight, yet they did not dominate. I am thankful for this friendship and for the growth within it.

Flowers just because


No comments:

Post a Comment