Wednesday, November 17, 2021

30 Days of Thanks: November 17

Self-awareness is an incredible asset and one I have developed through years of therapy and working at it. It's something for which I am thankful, as without it I could easily be lost in the chaos of emotions and hormones and life. After a lovely evening out with a friend I came home and in the middle of a some chores felt as if the world was crashing; I took a few deep breaths and examined the moment, the emotions, and found it was anxiety spiking because I was feeling lonely after the company. In those moments I had a choice: continue down the path of anxiety and loneliness or reflect on the people that I have in my life. I brought up memories of some of the people in my life and a smile came out. From there I could reach out to these people and connect. While I still would care for a hug, the virtual connection helps stabilize me and moment.

Being self-aware allows me to see some, not all, of my biases, my triggers, and identify, at times, the root of the anxiety. It does not always make it easier, but my logical side does prefer having that root cause. Self-awareness is powerful, it is beautiful, and it can be painful, yet it is also self-love. In all of these things I am thankful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment