Tuesday, November 16, 2021

30 Days of Thanks: November 16

Today it's the simple gift of technology for which I am thankful. Technology that allows us to connect to one another, host conferences, and share our stories with others, as I do here. While we can often fall into the trap of comparison with social media, and I know I do, I also know that social media has brought me many gifts. Technology in its entirety has also brought me many gifts, from simply being able to speak with someone who's not around the corner, to allowing me to learn from other therapists from across the country, technology has impacted each of our lives, and as often focus on the negatives that it can generate, today I celebrate all it has brought me.

It has brought me new friends, and allowed me to build and create my own community and family. One in which I know I am loved and accepted exactly for who I am. It has brought me the opportunity to share my story so that others may not travel alone in these difficult moments. It has brought me new jobs, and an entirely new profession. It has connected me to others similar to myself and given me the chance to connect with others so different from myself. In these moments I learn, I grow, and I have the ability to pass these along to my own children. The ripple effects of technology are so much deeper and more complex than we believe. With all the gifts that it has given me the one I cherish most is the connection. I spend time scrolling through facebook and instagram to see how my friends and family are doing, find peace and joy in nature when I am unable to observe it myself, imagine myself hiking into those beautiful places, and interacting with others. At night before I go to bed if I am lonely I can find my community in the palm of my hand; I can connect instantly with a few people and not feel so isolated. And, when the timing is good I get to meet these people in person, see their smiles, hear the laughter, and even receive a much needed embrace. Technology is a gift, and today I am thankful for the gift.



No comments:

Post a Comment