Thursday, November 14, 2019

30 Days of Thanks: Day 14

There are moments when I sit down to write that I think this will get easier. That the thing or things that I am thankful for will just come swiftly, but most nights I sit here blankly just thinking and pondering. Tonight is no different, I've sat and pondered, stalled and finally opened the laptop to type it out, but there's nothing there. It's not writer's block, or a block on what I'm thankful for, it's more a sense of the unknown.

There was nothing overly spectacular about today, good or bad. It just was. That in of itself is actually a good thing, as the past week has been a series of lows, crawling out of the valleys, only to descend again to the depths. Thus, you would think that I am thankful for a day like today, a solid mediocre day. It's not that I'm not thankful for it, but it's not the big ticket item for the day. It doesn't feel right in my gut to say that I'm thankful for my mediocre day.  Thus I'm still searching for that thing.

The best part of my day was coming home and listening to my 10 year old, D, tell me about his field trip and the pack of sheep's wool he bought. Yup, my son bought sheep's wool at his field trip. His other favorite part was hauling the firewood around during the trip. I was surprised at both his purchase and his description of the day. He's my funny little engineer man, so different than any of his siblings. Ten years have gone by and there are so many moments I don't have a clue what makes this one tick or how to motivate him. He's the smallest and wiriest of the group, and this guy pick the tuba, yes the TUBA, to play for his instrument. Let me tell you that we were all shocked. He had been talking all year about the trumpet or trombone, so the tuba came out of nowhere. Personally I think he would be good at drums, but he has no interest. I've been told by other parents I should be grateful. I don't know about that, have you heard a tuba on its own before? All that aside this little guy of mine is a joy. He frustrates me to no end and I'm usually more at a loss with him than the others, but I love him dearly. I'm thankful for his uniqueness and sweetness. There are moments he's like a little old man, salty and sweet. Gotta love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment