Sunday, November 10, 2019

30 Days of Thanks: Day 10

Today I was lucky enough to go on an almost 10 mile hike with a friend of mine. We haven't seen each other in a number of months, but it's lovely to just pick up where we left off. We hikes along a river, in the shade of the trees, along the rails of an old track and were lucky enough to spot a number of bald eagles enjoying the bounty of the river. Yes, for those wondering I was behaving and wearing my ankle brace, it was also mostly flat and level terrain. Nothing too strenuous for my about healed ankle. It was a lovely day.

Then I came home and it was back to reality: chores, dinner, kid chaos, etc. Life sometimes hits you smack upside the head when you return. I lost all my happiness from my hike as I was enveloped into the mess that can be my life. It was crushing me that I was losing that peace and happiness. I took a moment to play my "highlight reel"; you know the snippets of memories that are guaranteed to make you smile. It made me then realize that that was what I was thankful for today.

I'm thankful for that highlight reel, the ability to recall those happy, joyful moments, even if the situation around them has changed. While it may not have made me return to my previous level of joy and happiness, the fact that I have a highlight reel and can use it are big gifts. Do you have a highlight reel?

No comments:

Post a Comment