Sunday, December 8, 2019

30 Days of Thanks: Wrap Up

I know I'm over a week late and a few entires short of my #30daysofthanks for November. Truth be told the end of the month was chaotic. My kids went to their Dad's extended family 10 hours away, leaving me home alone. Night one was a challenge, more than I thought it would be. This isn't my first go round with them being gone for this holiday- in fact it is the 4th year, but every year it hits me in a different way. By the time the second night rolled around I was at my cousin's to prepare to work on Thanksgiving and celebrate together. I was more worried about Thanksgiving itself and the potential fallout, given that last year I was a complete and utter wreck after Thanksgiving. This year I was so tired by the time I arrived home I did not have the opportunity to be a wreck. I'm thankful for that in and of itself.

Friday following Thanksgiving I crammed in as much as possible: a quick trip to Target to pick up a few things, a short 90 min hike in the state park near me, followed by taking a belay certification class so I can take my kids rock climbing. I wrapped that day up with dinner with my parents and packing for a quick, but cold overnight backpacking trip.

Saturday I headed out 2 hours from home for an 18 mile roundtrip trek at my coldest temperatures yet. It was a fabulous trip, just cold! Overnight lows in the 20s with a real feel of 17 when I awoke. But when you wake to a sunrise like this you can't complain.

Reflecting on all the things in my life over the month of November and first week of December I see so many blessings. I am healthy, strong in my faith and family. I have a loving family and 4 amazing kids who mean so much to me. I gained two new incredible hobbies and passions thanks to the influence of an amazing man: backpacking and rock climbing. I'll be forever grateful for the introduction to them. 

As 2019 draws to a close and we all reflect on the year that was I hope that we can find the glow and joy of the good times while remembering with peace the sad moments. It's with these sad and down and anxious moments that our moment of joy, peace and happiness shine brighter.

Peace and blessings in this holiday season to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment