Monday, December 30, 2019

19 from 2019

It's that time of year when people are posting their "tops" from the past year and I thought I would join in the memory making. These are my top 19 moments/memories from 2019 in no particular order.

  1. Backpacking on the AT the first time with Backbone. There was so much in this short 25 mile out and back trip that occurred. Reflecting on it was all the little things, but the little things become the big things. It was the trip that made me fall in love with backpacking.
  2. First solo backpacking trip. Need I say more?
  3. Having my divorce become official. It was one of the last steps to closure that I had been seeking.
  4. Planning and mostly completing my first multi-day, multi-state backpacking trek. I learned so much about myself and how much I truly loved being out in the woods hiking on this trek. It solidified future plans and endeavors for longer trips and treks.
  5. Whitewater rafting with my kids down the New River in West Virginia. So much fun, they can't wait to do it again.
  6. Hiking and camping in Shenandoah National Park with my kids. We absolutely loved the park and trails and the views. 
  7. Relaxing on the beach in Punta Canna with a book and a beverage.
  8. Realizing that while I love the beach, I am truly a mountain woman. They (and the trail) call me with a siren song.
  9. Watching Hugh Jackman perform live at his concert. It was a great show with fantastic company.
  10. A fun birthday and Easter celebration with my kids and my parents. Birthdays are a complicated thing for me and this year mine coincided with Easter
  11. Watching my oldest nail her cartwheel on the balance beam during competitions. I love watching her achieve new skills. 
  12. Watching D fall in love with rock climbing and nimbly zip up the walls without an issue. This dude of mine is a natural athlete and honestly he struggles a bit with some activities, because the skills come so naturally he gets bored. He needs a sport/activity that continually challenges him. He does well in gymnastics, but doesn't have the desire to compete. D loves basketball, but even that has become almost "boring." One round of rock climbing and he was hooked. 
  13. Watching G learn complicated dives. It's a love/hate with diving. I love watching him dive, but some of those dives are a bit terrifying as a parent.
  14. Watching B come into her own from First Communion to becoming more confident in some situations. She's always been an outgoing, sassy little thing, but this year, especially these past few months she has grown more.
  15. Reconnecting in person with friends from Texas that I have not seen since 1998.
  16. A hotel room with an in-suite jacuzzi sans kids for a night to spoil myself.
  17. Coming to the realization that I really enjoy writing and applying to write for All Women All Trails.
  18. Being accepted and published with All Women All Trails. 
  19. Rediscovering a joy of cooking from nights of homemade traditional tacos and margaritas, fish and chips with smooshed peas, pizzas and beer, gnocchi, breakfast tacos and what feels like a thousand other little things. It was nice to cook with and for someone who enjoyed it and appreciated it. In those simple acts I found a passion again in crafting meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment