Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Soundtracks

Isn't it funny how different periods of our life have different soundtracks? I'm sure you can remember the songs that took you through middle school, high school, and college. There was a period of time where my life was defined by toddler tunes and Jack Johnson and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Funny enough, my oldest can't listen to Banana Pancakes without getting sleepy since we played it the first 2 years of her life to help her settle and sleep. Music is such an integral part of our lives; I'm sure you've had instances where you hear a song and you are automatically reminded of a specific memory or feeling.

These past 2 years I have had a number of different soundtracks through my life as I work through different phases of this process. It's ranged from love to heartbreak to frustration, anger, desperation and freedom. It's been defiant, uplifting, dramatic, gut-wrenching and soul moving. There are moments when a song can bring me to tears with the opening measures, and other where mid-chorus I break down into tears. Sometimes you will find me belting out songs to give myself a lift and other times you will find me dragging my kids up to dance. In fact, our latest song to dance and groove to is Sway by Danielle Bradbery. They like to figure out the timing so that they're swaying in the correct direction that she's singing. There's nothing more special than a dance party with your kids.

It's interesting that lots of people assume that my soundtrack should focus on songs like Rachel Platten's Fight SongLittle Big Town's Better Man, and There's Nothing Holding Me Back. The reality is there have been a time and place for these songs, but they were never my primary focus. In all honesty, it depends on my mood and moment to moment needs. Sometimes I need a little Imagine Dragons On Top of the World and other times I need to let it all out with Shawn Mendes In My Blood when my anxiety has me going crazy. There are moments when I want to be soothed and envision an amazing future and I listen to Hunter Hayes Wanted, or Blake Shelton's God Gave Me You. I think about moments that may come and songs like Don't You Wanna Stay and Just a Kiss. What can I say? I'm a romantic at heart and I refuse to believe that I will be alone forever.

There are moments when I need to dance and forget everything; these moments I need to feel the beat and just be free. You'll find me having a dance party in my kitchen or living room or bedroom, alone. Dance party music is everything from David Guetta's Titanium to Can't Stop The Feeling by Justin Timberlake. I really do listen to almost every genre.  Each and every one of these songs has played a role in my healing process, but I have to say I am curious to think about how I will define this soundtrack 5 years from now. What songs will have had the most influence on me and take me back to this place?

No comments:

Post a Comment