Saturday, October 27, 2018

Can you adjust my cape?

Can you adjust my cape? I think it's gotten tangled; maybe you could just help me get this thing off. Sometimes even superheroes get tired of wearing capes.

Yes, yes we do. I've been compared a lot in my motherhood to a superhero. And yes, there are days and moments that Moms have special hero powers, but most of us are average humans, just doing our best to raise non-entitled, well functioning humans who will be productive members of society.

But here's the reality- even superheroes get tired of their capes. It's a lot of expectation to live up to, and in fact it can be crushing. I think it may be even more so for single parents. We get placed on this unintentional pedestal by well meaning people. "Oh I don't know how you do it!" "I could never be a single parent" "You are so strong" While your well meaning words may be be meant to uplift us, they can create undue burden. We're doing what we have to do to raise our children, just like you do. We're just doing it solo or split.

Parenthood is and can be crushing, regardless if you're a mom, dad, married, divorced, separated, single or have a partner. There are moments of great joy, tempered with lots of exhausting repetitive moments. I won't say I don't love being a mother, because I do. I cherish my kids and my role in their life. But I'm exhausted.

Between managing their schedules, extra shifts at my primary job, working more at my second job and picking up shifts with my third (yes you read that right) this PhD mama is beat. Oh, and did I mention I've got a half marathon right before Thanksgiving. So this mama is tired.

I don't want a cape or gold stars or applause for doing what's best for my kids. I want your help. I want you to help me get my kids to their activities. I want you to bring me a casserole so it's one less meal I need to stress about to feed these silly monsters. But if I'm honest, what I really want is a partner to share the burden and the highs and the lows. I'm tired of wearing my cape. I'd like to pass it off to someone else. Reality is that's not happening, so I just need you to adjust my cape so it flutters nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment