- 1 crockpot (mine is a large 7qt, use the largest you own)
- polar fleece blanket
- some form of a timer
- candy thermometer (optional, but I highly recommend, mine was $10 at Meijer's)
- 1 gallon of milk
- 1 8oz container greek style yogurt- plain (I used the yoplait brand because it was on sale)
- 1 cup sugar (or other sweetner, you can use more if you like it really sweet)
- 1 probiotic capsule (optional, I have them in the house for my kids when they are sick)
- Pour 1 gallon of milk into your crockpot.
- Turn on LOW and heat for 4 hours. Set a timer to remind yourself, I use my phone.
- Check the temperature at the 4 hour mark, you really want it close to 185 to make sure you have killed any bacteria already existing in the milk. If it's not there leave it for about 30 more minutes.
- Turn off and unplug your crockpot.
- Stir in your 1 cup of sugar/sweetner.
- Let the crockpot sit covered to cool for 3 hours. Set your timer again.
- Check the temperature at the 3 hour mark, it should have cooled to about 119. If not let it cool another 30 minutes.
- Ladle out about 1 cup of hot milk into a clean bowl and stir in the store bought yogurt (when you have made your own yogurt, you can just use your remainder) and the probiotic capsule (if using).
- Add the yogurt mixture back to the warm milk and stir well.
- Cover your crockpot and wrap in a warm blanket.
- Let it sit for 8-10 hours overnight undisturbed.
- In the morning open your crockpot and you should have yogurt (about 1 gallon worth)!
My only other note is PLEASE check the capacity of your crockpot prior to starting. The directions for a smaller crockpot would be less milk and shorter times, I would recommend you go here (the recipe I originally started with) if you want to compare.
Hope you all enjoy!