Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Choices

I was listening to Rascal Flatt's My Wish the other day and passed it along to a friend, thinking that they would see themselves in the song. What I didn't expect was their response "I wasn't raised that way." I knew that history, but I didn't send the song for that reason, I sent it because they are persevering despite that. In fact, it's a similar conversation I have had many times over the past few years. People living their lives in contrast to how they were raised, moving beyond the trauma.

I am not a trauma expert, nor will I pretend to be one. I am not a psychologist, social worker or any type of mental health practitioner, I only have my own trauma and my own resiliency to pull from in the strength that it takes to overcome things. I did not have a traumatic childhood, though some would argue moving as much as I did would be, but for me it was normal! I can speak to the courage, strength and energy it takes to make the changes that need to be made to live the life that you want to live.

Each of my friends that have shared stories similar to the one mentioned have become amazing, incredible people. They made the choices they needed to make to become the people that they are. They are inspiring, adventurous, caring, and compassionate individuals. This is not about them overcoming the trauma or living their lives uniquely, it is about these individuals making a choice, a series of choices, to live their life in a manner that represents them, not their history. They inspire me to dream big dreams and chase impossible sounding goals, they remind me of the adventurous girl I once was and the one I am loving rediscovering and showcasing.  I love the lyrics in that song
"And if you're faced with a choice and you have to choose
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you"
It's a choice. Life is a choice. They may be difficult choices, and the road will take you down paths that you did not intend, and those that you do not want, but you can keep choosing anew. It's something that I have to remind myself of during these challenging times. I will leave you with my other favorite lyrics
"Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small"

No comments:

Post a Comment