Sunday, August 25, 2019

Change



Life has a way of changing rapidly and unexpectedly at times. The truth is those plots twists, curve balls and change-ups can't always be an instantaneous "move on." There's emotions to process, habits to change and many other adjustments that need to be made. A month ago there was a curveball thrown my way completely unexpected, and it has been quite a challenge. It was of course complicated by my family's vacation a few days afterwards, so I had minimal time to process.

All that being noted, this twist is going to be good for me. I've spent the last few months wrapped up in other things and not working on me as much as I likely needed. I have taken this time to work on changing up my future and myself in the process. I am taking the time to get back to looking at those big dreams and making them into goals. I'm processing different parts of me that I have neglected because of other anxieties. It's become a season of personal growth.

I'm certainly not moving on smoothly though. There are moments I struggle, forgetting the change, and there are moments that I am hit so hard I have stomach pains and difficulty breathing. Then there are moments where I realize everything is good and I feel great. It's been quite a roller coaster ride. Truth is I started this post weeks ago but haven't had the clarity to complete it. A trip to Madison and my head is clear enough at the moment to find my ground.

There's not much to say except that even a "plot twist" deserves your time to process your emotions. If you're moving on quickly without processing then you're either deluding yourself or the "wrong" that happened wasn't truly that important to you. So I challenge you to look at your reactions to changes and honor your emotional response. As my therapist likes to tell me at times, it's ok to be sad and grieve, it's not ok to set-up camp there.

No comments:

Post a Comment