Thursday, May 9, 2019

Mindset

You know those days, weeks, moments where you feel like the world is throwing everything at you? Where you are standing in the midst of a hurricane or facing a massive wave? I'm sure you know exactly to what I am referring, suffice it to say that since Monday last week life has been a hurricane. Let me give you the highlights:

  • woke up last Monday to kid a who had vomited in his sleep overnight
  • had to drag said child with me to pick up furniture that had to be picked up that day
  • mowed the grass Monday with an apparently flat tire on my mower, so I trashed the yard AND shattered the cover to the sewer access line
  • asked for help jacking up the mower and removing the tire and we were out in the rain and pitch black at 10pm trying to get the tire off
  • a 5 minute fix of replacing the cover on the sewer access line turned into 20 minutes as I had to dig out more than expected
  • tried to offload my old furniture via FB marketplace for FREE and had people repeatedly stand me up, thus I had new living room furniture delivered with half my old set still in place
  • opened the shed Friday afternoon to learn that the roof is really leaking and needs to be replaced ASAP (guess what I'm doing this weekend)
  • rain threatened for Saturday, the day we had an outdoor party scheduled to celebrate B's First Communion (thankfully it held off!)
  • engine light came on in my van
  • took the car for an oil change and to get looked at for the engine light and they asked me to take it to the dealer for that
  • dealer charged me a crazy amount to tell me that the light was a malfunction because the software needed to be updated
  • while my van was at the dealer they left a big scratch down the rear quarter panel and sliding door
  • It's show time this week and next at the gymnastics center where I work my second job, so it's just more chaotic than usual. 
  • I'm in negotiations with my lawyer about my divorce during this entire period
And I'm likely forgetting a few things, but yeah it's been chaotic. I can tell you that last year had this happened I would have been extremely whiny and complaining, ready to throw in the towel. It's not to say that I haven't had those moments these past 10 days, but I've been able to laugh and smile through most of it. It took me until late last night to realize that the reason I'm not crushed with all of this is the mindset shift I've undergone.

I could whine, complain and just live in the negativity that all of this chaos brings or I can embrace the chaos and shout back at it. By embracing the chaos I've created a positive energy to counteract the negative spiral that threatened. And that my friends is HUGE progress. Who remembers my post from just last summer where I wrote about the anxiety spiral? This hurricane of the past 10 days could have easily pulled me into an anxiety spiral, but I haven't had more than 1 instance where it even attempted to drag me down. It amazes me how much my mindset and attitude have shifted.

Shifting my mindset and attitude has been no easy task, but at this point I am reaping the rewards. I have so many blessings and people to be grateful and thankful for that I can be overwhelmed. To all of you that have touched my life in the past year I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment