Tuesday, August 21, 2018

A PhD Builder?

A little over 5 and a half years ago I interviewed at the amazing children's hospital where I now work. I was asked about my 5 year plan and I remember saying that in 5 years I would love to be doing a mix of clinical patient care and research, ideally 50/50 split. Pipe dream I knew, but it was worth throwing out there. Here I am 5 years down the road, and I've temporarily phased out of patient care to become an application analyst for our department.

It's a crazy thing. I've had a few people tell me I'm wasting my PhD. I mean why spend 5 years pursuing a crazy thing like that to not teach or do research. But let me tell you after 5 years I was burned out and out of my touch with my clinical side. Going back to clinical work was one of the best choices I ever made. And I used that PhD, let me tell you. I educated staff, I developed research proposals and though they never made it past IRB due to personal life impediments it was fulfilling. I presented at hospital, local and national conferences. I co-authored a book chapter. I am using so many skills from that PhD, despite what some may think.

But I was getting burned out. I'm sure it was combination of my personal life going through major upheavals, a running injury that sidelined me for months and impacted my ability to work and provide for my kids, but I was beyond exhausted this past winter. So, when the opportunity for a new position was posted I was intrigued. This would be out of my comfort zone, but it would allow me some flexibility that I desperately needed as a now single mom. My now manager encouraged me to apply. She has been an amazing advocate and mentor. So April 2 I began my transition from staff physical therapist to application analyst for our department.

So what exactly does this position do? Well. I'm supporting our staff (PT, OT, SLP and Audiology) in our new and improved electronic medical record documentation style and functioning as a liaison between us and the information services group. This is why I have been making trips to Madison, WI for training. I've attended 2 intense classes, completed 2 comprehensive projects and now successfully passed 2 exams to become a certified clinical builder. And, I've used my PhD skills every step of the way. I know how to study and what works for me. I know how to manage my time and my team members. Many of the other people I know that become analysts do not have outside responsibilities, but I've not been so lucky. I've had to complete all of my requirements, juggle bits of patient care, and manage a huge project with multiple moving parts. And along the way I've had to assert myself as I have unique role at my hospital and there are some who don't quite know what to do with me.

Yeah, those lessons and skills learned from my PhD have come in pretty hand these past few months. So put your hands together and help me celebrate my new official certification as a Epic Clinical Builder.

No comments:

Post a Comment