Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dissertation update, part 1

So there has been a LOT going on the past 2 months in regards to my dissertation. So this is part 1: where I am at and what has happened. Part 2 is a commentary (vent?) about something that occurred today.

If you follow me regularly you would have seen the crazy schedule that I posted a while back. We have been keeping to that crazy schedule, though with a few more breaks built in for everyone's sanity. In regards to the dissertation all five of my chapters have been written and reviewed (at least once) by my adviser. Chapter 3 (which is study #1) is off to 2 other committee members and I am expecting their feedback sometime this week, most of which I expect is that it is too darn long (60+ pages, not including figures, tables, or references). I am revising Chapter 4 (study #2) currently and will have it done by the end of the week. Intro and lit reviews (chapters 1 & 2) are waiting on review from my chairs from their second round of edits by me. Next on my list of things to edit and revise is my final chapter, summary and conclusions. This chapter needs a lot of work, especially because I apparently failed miserably when I wrote it. *sigh*

So I know two posts ago I was ranting about delaying my defense and while I could still rant about it I won't (at least for now).  The basic facts are that I am anticipating a defense in May or June. I really can't afford to go any later into June. I HAVE to get a job, earn some money somehow to get us out of this financial pit we are in. On the upside I do get to "walk" at Commencement in May. My name won't be in the program, a degree will not be conferred, yada, yada yada........but to me it's super important to walk. Hubby and I don't plan to be here in December when I could walk and have my name in the program, etc. and it's not financially feasible for all of us travel back here just so I can participate in graduation. So while I really wanted to participate fully in graduation and BE DONE with this process by May I guess I have to suck it up and move on.

So that's the abridged version of what has been going on. You really don't want to hear the unabridged version.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Gina. I'm so sorry this has been such a difficult experience. I'm sure it seems like it's been one big frustration and problem after another. What an example you are setting for your kids, though, about persistence. And that's certainly worth something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! I was thinking the other day that well at least my kiddos know they need to stick with things and be persistent!

      Delete